Say no to sugar with South Beach
Say no to sugar with South Beach18/02/2015 By southbeach
You heard us, here at South Beach HQ we're attempting to give up sugar for a huge 40 days and 40 nights. We love a sugary treat as much as the next gal, and we're firm believers in 'everything in moderation' - you have to enjoy yourself sometimes right? However, we are using lent to break the habit, because a treat per day is not in moderation (and definitely doesn't keep the doctor away!)
If you're ready to break the habit too, we're going to help you! We'll be posting top tips, sugar substitutes, sugar-free recipes and anything else that will help us kick sugar's ass! To start you off here are 5 compelling reasons why the stuff is bad news:
- Refined sugar has no nutritional values. That’s right – no vitamins on minerals.
- Sugar causes insulin resistance, leading to an excess. Excess insulin tells the fat cells to pick up fat from the bloodstream and to hold on to the fat that they already carry. This is how insulin causes obesity.
- Refined sugars are now thought to be the leading cause of diabetes.
- When we eat refined sugar, dopamine is released in the brain, giving us a feeling of pleasure. So some people can become easily addicted to sugary foods.
- Added sugar supplies the body with a large amount of fructose. When large amounts enter the liver and it is already full of glycogen, most of the fructose gets turned into fat.
You're sweet enough...